Skip to main content

Junkyard Quotes 66-70, Week 14

"Shut up talking to me"

-A gem from one of my students. Not a new quote, but worth including.

-------------

"What signification lies in the doodle smiley, start, or heart? Whose face is that, what galaxy, and who depends on that rhythm?"

-------------

"You don't look qualified enough to teach a rock to sink"

-------------

"Believe you me"

-------------

"Four years of schooling and they let me sharpen pencils in the teacher workroom"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Improv 1, Week 9

Script Folio 43 Split pomegranate, common rhinoceros beetle, Scarlet Turks='s cap lily folding back it's red lips while anthers circle the pistil's one hand: above them six lines are written in chancery script with lettere tagliate , letters cut like the long lines of pasta our parents cut on our plate, the work of two people who never met. The two halves of each letter--below and above-- are severed or sewn together by inked chain links like those that knot a fence or a stitch that unravels the whole length of a sentence if a stray thread is pulled--chain letter, chain gang, chain mail, chain saw-- or those paper links that wrap themselves around the Xmas tree: eentsy weentsy spider sidling up to each letter, each word, casting and binding in silk as if to ravel and unravel once felt the same. ---------------------------- Food Foods were eaten like the grossness our parents turned into freedom tickets away from the kitchen table, the alteration of rules we didn’t know exis...

Improv 1, Week 7

“Grounding” by Sandra Meek 5th and 6th Stanza […]That summer, retracing my parents’ younger lives, I drove past the red-stone mental hospital where they’d worked, through what use to be countryside, good rock hunting, now a clutter of suburban yards, bricked fences. What I learned from my father: it’s stasis that kills, and face cards are always the ones to keep. From my mother: self is just what doesn’t leave you. What I taught myself between flights, to orbit any celestial stone is to lose everything but direction. On the margin of a neighborhood going up, the only roses I unearthed were failed partial blooms: one side ridged, the other smooth as an Amish doll’s face the maker leaves unfeatured to avoid sin, the graven image. As if God didn’t know to go any deeper. --------------------- One vacation, transcribing my earlier trips to beaches, I crept over black sand, sea weed, and shells into the ocean where Uncle Scott tossed me like an inflatable boy. A cold Great Lake: just jump in...

Improv 1, Week 8

Myth I was asleep while you were dying. It’s as if you slipped through some rift, a hollow I make between my slumber and my waking, the Erebus I keep you in, still trying not to let go. You’ll be dead again tomorrow, but in dreams you live. So I try taking you back into morning. Sleep-heavy, turning, my eyes open, I find you do not follow. Again and again, this constant forsaking. * Again and again, this constant forsaking: My eyes open, I find you do not follow. You back into morning, sleep-heavy, turning. But in dreams you live. So I try taking, Not to let go. You’ll be dead again tomorrow. The Erebus I keep you in—still , trying— I make between my slumber and my waking. It’s as if you slipped through some rift, a hollow. I was asleep while you were dying. ---------------------- Partly Cloudy I was learning, while you were barely breathing, that twelve times eight is somewhere below one hundred: those multiplication tables delay my learning of your death. They are mind fog, never all...